Current:Home > MarketsGilgo Beach Murders Case: Authorities Detail Suspect Rex Heuermann's "Concerning" Internet History -Capitatum
Gilgo Beach Murders Case: Authorities Detail Suspect Rex Heuermann's "Concerning" Internet History
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:36:05
Authorities say they've unearthed chilling evidence in the case of the Long Island serial killer—including his alarming search history.
Days after suspect Rex Heuermann was arrested and charged in connection to the murders of three women found in Gilgo Beach over a decade ago, the prosecuting attorney on the case has given insight into their investigation.
According to authorities, once Heuermann was identified as a suspect, they say that investigators were able to trace his burner phones, which led to the discovery of additional burner phones, fake email accounts and false identities he had used in the process of "gathering a massive amount of digital evidence and trace evidence."
"We saw all this, really sort of concerning searches that he was undergoing," Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney told People July 19. "In a 14-month period, over 200 times, he's searching for information about the Gilgo investigation. He's trying to figure out what we're up to."
According to NBC New York, prosecutors said questions included in his search history included, "Why could law enforcement not trace the calls made by the long island serial killer" and "Why hasn't the long island serial killer been caught." Additionally, investigators also allege they found hundreds of internet searches about sexual abuse toward women and child pornography, as well as searches for victims and their families.
"He was obsessively looking at the victims," Tierney noted. "But he's also looking at the victim's siblings."
Heuermann was also seemingly captivated by other serial killers, per authorities, with his online history featuring searches for "11 currently active serial killers," and "8 Terrifying Active Serial Killers (We Can't Find)."
According to Tierney, Heuermann, a 59-year-old man from Massapequa Park, was "pretty surprised" when he was arrested July 13.
"I think he lived this double life, and he used the anonymity of phones and computers to shield himself from the rest of society," the district attorney said. "Unfortunately for him—and fortunately for the rest of us—he wasn't successful."
Upon his arrest, Heuermann was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, 24; Megan Waterman, 22; and Amber Lynn Costello, 27. He pleaded not guilty to all counts at an arraignment on July 14, per his defense attorney Michael J. Brown.
"There is nothing about Mr. Heuermann that would suggest that he is involved in these incidents," Brown said in a July 14 statement to E! News. "And while the government has decided to focus on him despite more significant and stronger leads, we are looking forward to defending him in a court of law before a fair and impartial jury of his peers."
According to NBC News, he is also suspected in the disappearance and death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, whose remains were also found near Gilgo Beach.
The women were among the remains of 11 people who were discovered after the 2010 disappearance of Shannan Gilbert kickstarted an investigation. (Her remains were found by police on Oak Beach in December 2011.)
Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison previously described Heuermann as "a demon that walks amongst us, a predator that ruined families."
"However, even with this arrest, we're not done," Harrison said during a July 14 press conference. "There's more work to do in the investigation in regards to the other victims of the Gilgo Beach bodies that were discovered."
(E! and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For more true crime updates on your need-to-know cases, head to Oxygen.com.veryGood! (63)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- North Carolina attorney general’s race features 2 members of Congress
- Psychotropic Medications and High Heat Don’t Mix
- Southern Taurid meteor shower hits peak activity this week: When and where to watch
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- State oil regulator requests $100 million to tackle West Texas well blowouts
- How to find lost or forgotten pensions, 401(k)s, and retirement money
- Jenn Tran’s Brother Weighs in on Her Relationship with DWTS Partner Sasha Farber
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Boeing factory workers vote to accept contract and end more than 7-week strike
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Quincy Jones leaves behind iconic music legacy, from 'Thriller' to 'We Are the World'
- RHOBH's Teddi Mellencamp & Edwin Arroyave's Date of Separation Revealed in Divorce Filing
- Abortion rights at forefront of Women’s March rallies in runup to Election Day
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Travis Kelce Shares Heartwarming Moment With Taylor Swift's Brother Austin at Eras Concert
- Saving just $10 per day for 30 years can get you a $1 million portfolio. Here's how.
- Georgia man arrested in Albany State University shooting that killed 1 and injured 4
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
IRS raises 401(k) contribution limits, adds super catch-up for 60-63 year olds in 2025
A former Six Flags park is finally being demolished after Hurricane Katrina’s devastation
Remains of nearly 30 Civil War veterans found in a funeral home’s storage are laid to rest
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
NFL Week 9 winners, losers: Joe Flacco shows Colts botched QB call
Chris Martin Falls Through Trap Door Onstage During Australia Concert
Chiefs trade deadline targets: Travis Etienne, Jonathan Jones, best fits for Kansas City